When summer temperatures are creeping up in Bethesda, VA, homeowners are frequently caught in a dilemma. Do you crank up the AC and revel in a refreshing environment, or do you put up with some hot and muggy conditions to save money?
As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it, too. Actually, you can. When you partner with Vernon The Heating & Cooling Specialist for your air conditioning maintenance, you can save money and still enjoy cooling comfort during the summer season.
Regular Air Conditioning Maintenance Increases Energy Efficiency
Air conditioning can account for up to 60% to 70% of your summer electric bill. With the ever-increasing cost of energy, Northern Virginia and Maryland homeowners are focusing more and more on energy efficiency.
Airflow is key to an energy-efficient system. A well-maintained air conditioner effortlessly distributes cooled air throughout your home. Cooling is consistent and humidity is controlled, so you can raise your thermostat and still stay comfortable. Estimates vary, but for every degree you change your thermostat, you save between 1% and 3% on your cooling costs. That means that with proper maintenance, you can raise your thermostat from 72 degrees to 76, conserve up to 12% on energy, and still keep your cool. Plus, maintaining a higher temperature inside your home slows the flow of outside heat into your home, saving you even more money on air conditioning expenses.
Here are a few airflow problems that regular maintenance eliminates on the way to improving the energy efficiency — and comfort — in your home:
- If airflow is too high, your unit cools your home but doesn't remove humidity.
- If airflow is too low, your unit has to run longer to cool your home.
- Clogged filters cause the blower fan in your air conditioner to work above capacity. This overload uses up to 15% more energy to circulate air throughout your home.
- Reduced airflow leads to inconsistent cooling, which causes your AC unit to work overtime to cool hot-spot trouble areas. Result: increased energy consumption.
Additionally, air duct inspection identifies the leaks and cracks that heighten energy loss up to 30% as the conditioned air passes through your ductwork.
AC Maintenance Prevents Costly Repairs
The top-ranked reason for air conditioning repairs is a dirty, neglected system. Regular maintenance reduces the risk of an unexpected problem developing with your system during a steamy summer. By catching problems when they're still small-scale, you avoid expensive AC repair bills and disruption to your family's comfort. Here's what we include in our tuneups:
- Calibrate or check thermostats, electrical connections, and safety controls
- Examine, replace, or clean filters, coils, condensate drain, and blower components
- Gauge airflow, system start-up, refrigerant pressure, and equipment clearances
Specialist Club Membership Equals Worry-free Maintenance
Specialist Club Membership gives you the peace of mind that comes with knowing professionals are keeping an eye on your AC unit. For $13.95 a month, you receive these services:
- Two precision tuneups a year
- 20% discount on repairs
- 24-hour emergency hotline
- Priority service in less than 24 hours
- Promotional coupons worth up to $300
- 100% money-back satisfaction guarantee
With regular AC maintenance, you really can have the best of both worlds: enhanced comfort and increased cost savings. For more details about the worry-free maintenance we offer at Vernon Heating & Air Conditioning, check out our Specialist Club Membership, or give us a call today. If you live in Virginia, call 703-968-7700. Our Maryland neighbors can reach us at 301-987-9244.