HVAC Maintenance That a Homeowner Should Do
In Reston, Virginia, variable winter weather puts your HVAC system through the paces day and night. To enjoy reliable performance all season, familiarize yourself with these simple DIY maintenance tasks.
Tune-ups, HVAC Filter Changes and DIY Maintenance
Furnaces are complex machines that contain more than 100 working parts. These finely tuned systems should be professionally serviced at least once per year for safety and efficiency. However, there are a variety of other ways to help your gas or oil furnace run optimally.
- Make sure that the chimney or exterior exhaust vent is free from vegetation or debris.
- For optimal airflow, keep floor or ceiling registers open in all rooms.
- Clean or replace your HVAC filter at least once a month for added efficiency.
- Follow all maintenance recommendations and safety precautions included in the owner’s manual.
- If a problem develops between tune-ups, schedule an inspection before the issue worsens.
- Make sure you know how to operate the gas supply valve and shutoff switch in case of emergency.
Furnace Maintenance Benefits
Preseason furnace maintenance pays you back all winter with lower energy bills, increased reliability and enhanced peace of mind. Preventive maintenance tasks are simple and effective, and they require a minimal investment and time commitment. Check out some of the benefits.
- Safety: Routine checkups prevent carbon monoxide buildup and other safety concerns.
- Efficiency: Replacing HVAC filters regularly can reduce your air-handling costs by 15%.
- Reliability: Simple maintenance tasks increase your peace of mind and prevent more than half of all service calls.
- Costs: Low- and no-cost maintenance tasks lower your heating bills and ownership costs exponentially.
Heating Contractors in D.C., Maryland, and Northern Virginia
Caring for your furnace might be easier than you think. Vernon The Heating & Cooling Specialist offers fall furnace tune-ups and affordable annual maintenance agreements. You can learn more about our services online or by calling our office.